Western Regional Mega-Meet Update

Discussion in 'Maverick Comet Club International (MCCI)' started by MavMike, Sep 17, 2005.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    I'm afraid you will have to take my name off your list. I have to work this weekend :(. I've been trying to catch up over the last few days, and I'm totally stressed out. I can't get through everything I need to by Friday. So I won't be able to make it. :cry:

Roz

2. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    carnzy, better to play it safe theres always next time.
    rosalinder, really sorry to hear that. had to use a vacation day myself for saturday:mad:. maybe ill be able to make one of the pleasanton shows this year and meet you there:Handshake.

8 members and 7 mavs is still a decent showing for our first time(y)

3. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    Maybe 8 members and 6 mavs for our first time. I just hit another snag. I tell ya I am about to loose it. I got everything wired, every bolt tightened, checked the hoses and fired the car up. It fired right up with no problem. But here is the kicker. I am getting a loud knocking noise when it is cranking over and at idle. It sounds like it is coming from the bell housing. I checked to make sure my converter is tight and it is. I even filled it up with one quart of fluid before installing it. I don't want to even think it is a bearing gone bad in the motor. I am going to go change my oil and put in straight 30W and some Restore and pray that helps. If I don't fix it I will at least show up and meet everyone and hope I have it fixed for the Good Guys Autumn Get Together in Pleasanton.

4. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    I will definitely be at the Good Guys Autumn Get Together in Pleasanton. I missed the one last weekend because I was trying to finish work to make this weekend, but I didn't get through everything. I shouldn't be so busy by November, and Pleasanton is only 10 minutes away from me.

I shall also try to get to the Ford Fun Sunday in Vallejo in September. That was the first show I attended after buying my Grabber last July. There was one other Maverick, so it would be nice if we could get a group of 4 or 5 there this year. http://www.funfordsunday.com/

Roz

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  5. sierra grabber

Vehicle:
    blk70, did you check that your spark plugs are all firing? when a plug is cracked or damaged, the cylinder wont fire and makes a light knocking sound . ive heard it sound just like a miss and ive heard it sound like a rod knock, just depending on the engine. either way itll be good having you there.

6. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the idea. I did remove the 4 on the passenger side when I removed the header. One might be cracked. I know it ran fine before I parked it to do the tranny. I'll swap the plugs too and see what happens. Pray for me, lol.

7. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    Well, it isn't my plugs or my motor. It is the tranny or converter like I thought. I went to push the car out of the garage and itdidn't matter what gear I was in the car still moved. I am guessing that the converter isn't seated properly on the input shaft of the tranny. It popped when I put it on but might have popped of while lifting the tranny up. I am so discussed right now. I really wanted to bring the car. I guess I will at least have A/C for the ride up and back in my truck. :rolleyes:

8. carnzy's 70 mav

carnzy's 70 mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick with a 170 six cylinder and 3 speed transmission-floor shifter
    man am i sorry to hear that...it sounds like the rod inside the torque converter may be snapped in half. i once put a tranny in my wife's tempo and discovered this after i re-pulled it to see why it wasn't working...turned out to be a frozen tranny that caused the rod to snap hope you have less misfortune. i had to get a different trans...i really wanted to see your mav in person but still look forward to meeting everybody...

9. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    Well I found a loose nut on the converter that was making the noise. I even turn the motor over a couple times by the crank to look for any loose nuts. I guess after sliding from back & forth from under the car I turn passed it a couple of times. Sucks working on these things by yourself. I tried to move the car and I have to bring the rpms way up to even get it to move. It's only a 2500 stall converter. The other thing I can't figure out is when it is in park the car will move. I am going to go play with the shifter linkage under the car on the transmission to make sure it is set to the correct spot. Then pray it works. Everything else has eventually worked out.

10. sierra grabber

Vehicle:
    if your using a cable aftermarket floor shifter, the cable may be out of alignment. if not you will need to drop the throttle body and make sure the gear selector piston is lined up correctly with the shift lever shaft. good luck.

11. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    It was out of alignment. It was one gear off. I got that changed but ran out of time to mess around with why I need to bring the RPM's up so high for it to move. I wonder if Hughes put the wrong converter in the box. As soon as my daughter wakes up I am going to go try it again and watch the tach to see how much RPM it takes to move the car. I look forward to meeting everyone tonight or tomorrow morning. Where are we going for dinner???

12. sierra grabber

Vehicle:
    now that its lined up, you may need to add fluid once or twice and drive it a bit. it seems like the high rev torque converters slip more when you first start using them, and once the fluid gets into all the cracks they grab a little better. at least thats been my experience with them.:huh:

13. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    I'll try that. I was reading on here where someone else was using the same converter with the same intake I have. Everyone was saying that he didn't have enough cam and an Air Gap or Torker intake would be better. That could be my problem too. I just have the Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and I am not sure on the cam size, but both could be too small for the 2500 stall. I'll look at Summit's markdown area for a new intake while we are up there.

14. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    Just wanted to let everyone know that Tom & I have made it hear in Reno and are all checked in at the Holiday Inn. Looking forward to meeting everyone else that is making this trek. Yes, i am without car but here to party and have a good time anyways. :dance:

15. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    What floor is everyone on at the Holiday Inn? I am on floor 11.