Western Regional Mega-Meet Update

Discussion in 'Maverick Comet Club International (MCCI)' started by MavMike, Sep 17, 2005.

1. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    That was a planned meet where people who said they would come didn't, including me. That's why you are disappointed, and rightly so.

However, I am NOT proposing a meet at the Fun Ford Sunday. I am simply saying that I PLAN to go. I may change my mind, but I'm not inviting anyone, I'm not arranging anything. I'm just going to drive up to Vallejo on September 10th and be there. I will walk around and look at the other Fords there, get a t-shirt and browse the vendor booths.

If anyone else with or without a Maverick also drives to Vallejo on September 10th, maybe we can bump into each other and chat for a minute or two. Maybe if you bring your Maverick, we can ask for all Mavericks to be parked together (this show groups like models together, except there is no class for Mavericks). If the operators of the show park all Mavericks who show up, together, even if there are only 2 or 3, then we can look at each other's cars.

There are no expectations, no committments, and no disappointments if no one else shows up. Understand?

Roz

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Tom and others....

I tried to contact the organizers of the Maverick portion of the Reno meet in order to try and get it in the MCCI newsletter and get some publicity for it as we have a majority of club members who do not frequent this board. Nobody ever wrote me back.....so I share your frustration. But don't give up. All it takes is one person with a lot of initiative that isn't afraid to step up and say "Yeah, I am organizing this thing". I would suggest planning a date for next year NOW and getting others involved to make this happen.

3. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Rick Workman put in a lot of effort putting this thing together and should be thanked for everything he did. But I think it was a mistake to piggyback on the Mustang show. We should pick a place that's easy to get to, but has the right kind of facilities and ambiance for this event. Maybe someplace like Napa, which is more resort-like. The roundup isn't located to be convenient for everyone, but to be a separate function in nice surroundings.

I still think that more of us in the SF Bay area should go to local shows just to show off our cars together, but if we want a real mini meet we need to form a committee and find a good location and plan it out.

Roz

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    It wasn't always that way. The first six or so Roundups were held in conjunction with Ford Expo...a big all Ford Show held on Labor Day Weekend. I would suggest piggybacking with another event for now just because all the "hardwork" is done for you. All everyone in a Maverick needs to do is show up.

5. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    I feel Reno was a good choice for the first meet, I would like to see it there again if it was to take place. Reno is right in the heart of the Western States. Close enough for anyone in California to get there in a few hours as well as the people from Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Oregon or Washington to get there in a descent time. It has many hotels to choose from at great rates too. I know I didn't mind the $49 a night room rate. There were many things to do like visit the Automobile Museum, gamble, movies, visit Summit Racing, play at Circus Circus, and lots of enexpensive restraunts to choose from. I didn't have a problem hanging out with the Mustang guys because they admired the Mavericks that were there just as much and had some great ideas.

6. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    now my reno bias aside, i would agree with craig that we are better off with another group until it starts to take off. it is far better to have several similar minded people around making it a good enough sized event to get discounts and benefiets. its not fun putting out large amounts of effort for an event that ends up with three cars and four members being all thats there, which is where we would have been if we werent at the mustang show. being a "volunteer entertainer" i know from my own failed events that it is best to fail and still be part of the big show than fail and have no show. this was a first year thing, i have seen better but i have also seen much worse (by my self in a field). relax and have patience, we can work together to make it better.

7. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Anyone going to Route 66?

8. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    Whats route 66?

9. Blk70mav

Blk70mav Member

Vehicle:
    Yeah, what's Route 66. Is it a show? Where is it besides the route to Chicago?

10. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
  11. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    Fun Ford Sunday

Well I was at the Fun Ford Sunday today, as I said I would be in message 226. There were no other Mavericks there. Plenty of Mustangs, plenty of Falcons/Comets, plenty of Fairlaines and even four Pantera's, a few Edsels, and two Pintos, but no other Mavericks.

Fun Ford Sunday is put on by a group of NorCal Ford Clubs (http://www.funfordsunday.com/ and click on Member clubs). If we want to start a meet, why not join the Fun Ford Sunday group. Someone from the MCCI should participate in the planning, so Mavericks can get their own space.

Roz

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  12. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Its in San Bernardino this weeks its a nation long show that starts in CA and ends in IL.

I will be there for the neon show on thrusday and the open header show on saturday heres the link for the info:

http://www.route-66.org/

13. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    Roz, so what cars did they park you with at the show?

14. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    I was parked behind the section with the Falcons, and next to a yellow and black Torino Cobra. I think it was the only Torino there too.

We were behind the T-Shirt booth, and not very visable. I ordered a T-Shirt with a picture of my Grabber on it. The T-Shirt maker took a photo of my car and will send me the shirt.

A couple of Falcon convertables came late and were parked there. They moved and found some space in the Falcon/Comet section, so my Maverick and Torino Cobra were all alone again. We looked like cousins, so it was kind of nice.

Roz

15. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    well as long as you had fun, what the tee shirt cost?