What are your goals for your car?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by RMiller, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I know someone who bought a Super Performance Cobra and paid $39K for it without engine or trans(otherwise they are complete, painted, etc)... He had a Ron Pond aluminum 427 FE built for it and installed a toploader... Dunno what he had in it total but he sold it for $95K...

For mine I'll build it the way I want it and other than maintenance or repairs, I'll just drive it... I'm not one to keep up with the Jones or have every trick piece that comes down the pike... Finished I'll have between $11 & $12K in it..

2. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    My belief is that it's fairly easy to build a "Street" car or a "Strip" car...or even a "Road Race" car..................the issue is when you try and meld all three............and yes there are guys that have built them..........the only issue is the $$$$$$ involved to make the compromises and still come out with high HP/drivability/reliability.
    I had the opportunity to drive a new Super Snake while up North, and with 785hp at the RW it was a blast to drive.........just unbelievable HP anywhere...anytime, the only draw back was the better part of 100k..........but it does pulls down over 25mpg on the highway........pretty good compromise....and like someone said, you can't take $$$$$$ with you..........IMHO

3. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Well put Frank..................if it wasn't a hobby and something to enjoy I know I wouldn't have done it for the past 45 years.
    Oh yes........................"You Can Never Have Enough Horse Power", and
    the old proverb is Cubic HP takes Cubic $$$$$$...............at least and have it live..........IMHO

4. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    My goals for my car are to have a good time, enjoy working on it, enjoy driving it, and some day get it repainted after everything else is the way I want it.

To that end, it doesn't matter to me what it costs. I have the car I want, and there isn't really a car I want more right now (except maybe if I could buy a real nice '68 Cougar, but I'm not into getting into trying to restore one of those myself)

5. 408w-maverick

408w-maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door
    I don't keep track of what I spend I do it for the joy. But my goal is to go as fast as I can and still drive it lol. Looking for low 11's high 10's on motor and 9's on the bottle. Plan to pull a 4x8 trailer behind it to the track with my tools and my buddy's GSXR on it. Run those numbers and drive it home total of about 50miles plus my passes.

6. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have to finish my R&C power rack and pinion setup. Meaning I need to wire the engine back up, hook up the fuel system (and nitrous kit), and hook up the new transmission cooler, then I am back on the road.

But...

I have a rear disk brake conversion kit waiting for as soon as I am back on the road.

Then I will be back OFF the road.

Then new seats. And lose the spool for a Tru-trac.

If I get that accomplished, I will have a comfortable and decent handling car.

Then finish up some bodywork, get it painted, and start saving for a 6-71.

7. Eraser

Eraser Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 302 autotragic
    Make a 350hp driver quality restomod. Not terribly worried about show quality, just a good 20 footer.

8. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    the goals for my black comet are get the engine paid for as early as possible next year and hopefully get the transmission done. then a visit to chris alston the year after for a complete 4 link fab 9 set up. and maybe even get it painted the same year

as for the gt I plan to get the headliner in very early next year and get the windows sealed properly with gaskets. and lay dynomat and carpet. then work on the seats on both cars I just need another set of ldo tracks to my 72

9. Lzoesch

Lzoesch Levi Zoesch

Vehicle:
    1969 Maverick & 1972 Chevy El Camino SS
    One of a kind, fully customized, badass, innovative pro street maverick.

Work in progress.

10. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    Get it back from paint so I can finish it and give my Dad one of the nices Mavericks on the planet.

11. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    plans are...hopefully new motor puts me low 11's and then on the bottle i can squeek some more out of it..then get rid of my seats even though they brand new..want some oldschool highbacks instead of the new race seat stuff...then..well throw more money at it, maybe a R&C kit/Turbo LS

if i didn't spend what i did on the rear end/trans i would have had the R&C but i guess i needed a built trans and rear end more.

12. dan gregory

dan gregory Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    My goal is to try to make it to the trk by the end of next yr.I`ve always built engines & cars for everyone else & sat on the sidelines.Now I want to do it for myself,take my skill & ability & see what I can do.If I can swing a trans within the next couple of months,I have a chance to make it happen.If I can get into the 10s,I`ll feel like my goal has been accomplished.Not that I`ll be satisfied w/ the 351,I eventually want to build a 408,then,I`m going to get real serious about going FAST.

13. maverickoutlaw

maverickoutlaw Member

Vehicle:
    1973 maverick
    My car

2012-03-18_12-55-49_797_original.jpg I have been converting my car from a drag race theme to an all out auto crosser for the last 1 1/2 years. I have installed R&C MII, TCI torque arm suspension. I also bought grabbergts 17" AR hopsters with 285-40/17 rear
    and 245-40/17 front. I've also got my eye on a DSS 306 with procharger pushing 550hp. I plan on having it finished for Goodguys at Kissemee, Fl in Apr and the Ultimate Street Car Association meet in may at
    Daytona.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  14. MaverickDan

MaverickDan I wanna go fast!!!

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 4dr
    My goal for my current setup is to get to mid 10's, then a couple years down the road build a turbo 351w to get into the low 9's. Haven't thought much past that.

15. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Very clean and nice looking car...............would certainly like to see more pictures.