Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by ptpdub, Feb 21, 2011.
Moved it to get the BBQ out. I really should drive the poor thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raining all day yesterday so all I did was replaced the cracked taillight lens and installed the correct lt rear marker light bezel.
installed the tranny cooling lines and and worked on the wireing for the motor a little...shes getting closer
Ordered some surface mount speakers for the rear. I'm making a rear firewall due to the fuel cell and eliminating the 6x9s.
Removed rear bumper,valance,gas tank,rear axle and cut some of the quarter panel out
FYI there's a good left side lower quarter on ebay right now.
Ty I'll check it out but will prolly just hand form it
Primed and painted the inside of my newly rechromed small bumpers.
Finished interior dynamat , padding and carpet ,and headliner. Vintage AC unit is being fitted under dash tonight. Hydraulic clutch bracket next.
Yesterday I pulled an 8.8 from the junkyard...open 4.10s! Got that pretty well stripped down, so hopefully sometime this week I can get to narrowing it. Think I have decided to move the leaf springs in and do a little wheel well modifications while the I'm at it.
Got a few last things done.
Modified the cable bracket to clear my tower supports, finished installing and plumbing the Lamb master cylinder (thought I would have more room between the MS and the valve covers...............now I have less), and put the rear end vent recovery catch can.
Now the fuel pump won't pump more than 3psi.................just one more thing to fix................not much more on this car I haven't rebuilt or replaced.
Did a bit of painting and a lot of sanding... sanded the entire top half of the car from that ridge point that is half way down the door, going over the tires and up...
Got the new glass installed today, so much nicer with clear glass. Mouldings all installed, oil change, trans pan gasket. Grabber Hood
decal install Sat. morning.
Olerodder please tell me everything about that M/C and booster. I have disc and drum and I'm not happy with the pedal force needed. Thanks Rick
I replied to your PM and thought you were talking about the motor, sorry.
I have 4wheel disc brakes from Aerospace Components which are lighter than Wilwood and cost less.
Because I didn't want to mess around with an external proportioning valve I went with their Lamb master with built-in proportioning valve. I went with SS braided line for the front and just re-plumbed the rear with steel line and new rubber intermediate hose (the old one was stock and badly worn) and the car will stop on a dime.........................I originally had drums on all four wheels and ran off the end of the drag strip in Redding, CA.................it's one of the shortest strips in the USA.
If you are not happy with the pedal force I'd check the ratio you have on the pedal;
I am using the stock Maverick manual brake pedal (my Maverick originally came with stick, so the stock clutch pedal is now on the floor and I use it as a foot rest) which is different than an automatic pedal setup. I did measure mine and it is very close to being a 7 to 1 ratio.
I also have a line-lock plumbed into the front brakes although this shouldn't make any difference.
I have a friend who just put a Granada setup on his 65 Falcon Ranchero and when I was in Portland I drove the car..................although he didn't replace the master cylinder.....................his brakes are just scary (the car has very warmed over 289/w 4spd and 4:11 rearend and is fast) and you need to anticipate stopping 1/8 mile before you need too. We didn't have time to go over the pedal ratio, but it has to be either the pedal ratio or he needs to change master cylinders because it should stop much better. The strange thing is he put Granada brakes on his 56 Ford Vicky with built 351C and they stop great...............but he had an automatic pedal rather than manual.......................just not sure, but before I would do anything I'd check the pedal ratio as per the insert up above. Also, I think the master cylinder should be at least 1-1/8" bore, and not a 1", but I'm not sure what the original Maverick/Comet MS is.
Hope this helped.
Also, there is no booster, as these are manual brakes not power.
Separate names with a comma.