Wheel Balance

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by Jsarnold, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    The replacement Cragar from Summit was delivered last evening. Took it to Gowers Brake and Alignment on S. Saunders St in Raleigh this morning. The owner swapped the tire onto the new wheel and was able to balance it. He didn't have a balancer with finger adapters but he was able to mount the wheel so it ran true. Took the car on a test drive up to 75 MPH and the shake is gone. The car still has a variety of small vibrations at Interstate speeds but nothing major now. I consider it fixed. Some day I'd like to get it to someone who can diagnose a vibration in the drive train. I suspect the drive shaft.

2. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    Man, I'm so glad to have read this thread! :clap:
    I've been going through the same issue! I have " uni-lug " rims on the front. Now I know what to ask for when I hunt down a shop within the range of my deflated wallet! Thanks to all for this info! :yahoo:

3. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Glad the info helped.

The replacement wheel ran true when the inside end of the wheel center hole was mounted on a cone and a cup went over the rim for the center cap and was tightened up against the lug surfaces. Although according to Cragar, the center hole isn't necessarily concentric with the rim, I guess its close enough on that wheel.