Your Input on a 250 Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by lpolson07, Jan 13, 2011.

1. lpolson07

lpolson07 Member

Vehicle:
    76 Maverick, 72 Comet
    Hey guys I have been thinking alot about what direction I am heading in with my Maverick and I'm gonna stick with my 250.

I have never rebuilt an engine but I want to give it a shot.

So...where do I start?

What all should I replace?

Doesn't need to be high performance by any means....I just want the engine to last another 35 years.

Oh and has anyone seen any manuals for sale lately? I can't seem to find one...I have a 76 Mav.

Just looking for a little (ok, alot) of guidance.

2. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    I like my 250 also! To show you how much,I just the other day sold a 302 that was sitting 10' from my car! I thought carefully about an engine change and then asked myself "why"? I've had the 250 for now 95,452 trouble free miles! When it gets tired,I will rebuild it! It's by no means tired yet! The C4 trans was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago,so it should last for awhile too. I don't race my car and I get 19-22 mpg! I can't determine what your engine would take to rebuild. This depends on several factors. Your best bet is to get a service manual,which you stated you wanted to do. I would check on E-Bay,your local auto parts stores,and even your local Ford dealer! If they are an older dealer they might have the Maverick service and repair manuals still lying about! It never hurts to ask! Good luck on your endeavor,and it's gratifying to see someone else likes their 250!:)

P.S. Here's a website you may find useful!
    http://www.fordsix.com/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. bartikus

bartikus Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet, 1977 4 door mav(dead), 1964 falcon 4 door wagon, 1936 studebaker dictator
    the 250 is a great engine. not all mav's need to be v8's. if it was me rebuilding it i would replace all the bearing, the rings, and have the block checked for cracks and wear in the cylinders and if needed machined. if machining needs done replace the pistons with over sized ones. have the crank checked and if need machined. check the cam and if worn replace. have the head rebuilt. replace all gaskets and seals. and any other thing that comes up in the rebuild process. rebuilding an engine isn't that hard just take your time and don't force anything.

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Chiltons manuals come up quite often on ebay.:)

5. sportyfamilycar

sportyfamilycar ElMaverick

Vehicle:
    (2) 77' Mavericks
    I second the Chiltons manual I snagged one and haynes small block ford rebuild guide is good even though it isnt a straight six book, it helps none the less.
    just tear it down, keep the rods/caps/pistons in order.
    find a machine shop locally and hot dip it or clean it yourself. have the cylinder walls bored .20 or .30 over if they need it.
    any autoparts store carries .20 or .30 overbore for these engines. .10 you will have to look elsewhere.
    you'll want the machinists to mill the head and deck the block to be sure the mating surface is flat.
    ---you mentioned it's a 76' maverick, deck the block .025 or have it taken off the head to keep your compression ratio stock as the head gaskets on the market now are thicker then stock unfortuantely and you'll lose power.
    ---you can have more removed to up the compression and make the engine more effecient in the power department as the compression was lowered mid 70's on all fords engines. (you wont lose mileage and you'll gain power with a 8.7-9.0 compression)

just keep it under 9.1 or the engine will knock like it's no ones business
    for more info on compression and milling see fordsix.com

-replace the rockers/valves in the head or just clean/freshen up if they seem fine.
    ---i would buy a new exhaust manifold.
    *****the cam will need replaced. i would have the machine shop install the new cam and cam bearings as they have the tools required.
    you can go stock cam but the engine begs for a little hotter cam even under stock compression and setup
    classicinlines 268/274 with 110 centerlobe and classic inlines 264/274 112 are both good mild cams. you can email classicinlines directly for the best suggestion though.
    ---once its back from shop just install new piston rings/bearings/oil pump/ gaskets(head,oil), install new timing chain, and lifters of course, i would keep hydraulic lifters as solid lifter require an entire new rocker assembly and do a carburetor rebuild.

pretty straightforward engine and if you rebuild and bring the compression back to stock you should make the 155hp/240tq advertised earlier in it's life and maybe more.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  6. maverick maniac

maverick maniac Banned

Vehicle:
    72 sprint v/8 3 grabbers 73 comet and a 77 comet race car
    when you are driving down the road no one knows what is under the hood the just notice what it looks like ,, I like the 250 idea myself better gas economy

rings, bearings, cam kit, head reworked, gasket kit, and oil pump that should cover a basic freshen up of a motor

good luck with your project

7. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    check with a machine shop about the over bore...most shops around here go a standard...40 over on the first bore.. boring one 10 may not clean up all cyls...if not they have to rebore and if 20 dosen't get all...etc...etc...

i built one 250...not again...same amount of time to build and more money than a 302...:yup:
    you might want to check into...Jasper...you may find a reman. cheaper...

...JMO...

8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber

belts, hoses, PCV valve, plugs, plug wires, dist. cap, carb rebuild, paint, etc, etc.

...and early model cam gear... (rthomas)

...:yup:...