Your opinion on what to do on my '75 Comet

Discussion in 'Technical' started by BusterPikachu, May 20, 2010.

1. BusterPikachu

BusterPikachu Pokemon Master

Vehicle:
    1975 Mercury Comet 4 door Sedan
    Hello I am a proud owner of a 4 door 1975 Mercury Comet. I bought it for $1k last fall. I want your opinions on what you would do with this car, since I really got nothin besides a new paint job. This post is long but I want a true and honest answer so it's worth the background story. Here is the general background of the car:

Engine: 6-250 - 1 bbl - 70-85 Horsepower (explanation would be nice no idea what 6-250 or 1 bbl means)
    Trans: C4 Automatic
    Color: Light Green(new paintjob needed)
    Trim: Light Green Barletta B/Cloth and Corinth Vinyl (L/B Bench) -Really pretty great condition also

The owner I got it from was my uncle's neighbor, he has an interesting story with the car. One night it was pouring really hard and the whole garage flooded. The car was up to it's engine in water and it wouldn't start so he worked on it and his wife helped him since he began to develop Parkinson's Disease. When he was almost finished his wife passed away and his disease fully sunk in so the car sat in the garage with only 40,000 miles on it for 10-25 years, not sure the exact year this happened.

My Gramps took it and fixed the rusted parts like the gas tank. Then it sat in his backyard for about 5 years. I just bought it from my gramps because I just had a son and I have a family to take care of. So I needed a family car. He sold it to me and he has a spare engine and transmission in case this one takes a crap. One Hell of a family car huh??:thumbs2:

So I take it and get it registered and it just so happens the lady behind the counter gives a license plate printed '666-RHW'. So this car has some kind of thing going on. :16suspect

We named this car bolt and I mentioned earlier all I have planned is a paint job, which is gonna be some dark color to match this car's personality. What are your ideas? It could be anything because I have nothing and I need people to help me decide

2. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    6-250 1 bbl means it is a 250 cubic inch six cylinder with a 1 barrel carburetor.

By "Up to its engine"...is not a good definition on how deep the water. Did water fill the transmission and rear end?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. lpolson07

lpolson07 Member

Vehicle:
    76 Maverick, 72 Comet
    I would say if you want to be proud of the car you should paint it yourself. Lot cheaper than having it professionally done and there are plenty of videos on the internet telling you how to do it in a variety of ways.

Youtube might be a good place to start.

Good luck with it :thumbs2:

4. BusterPikachu

BusterPikachu Pokemon Master

Vehicle:
    1975 Mercury Comet 4 door Sedan
    not exactly sure about the details. I heard this from my uncle and my gramps. I did see my gramps pull it out of the garage. It was covered in cardboard and other garbage. I'm not exactly sure what he fixed because I have no idea what I'm looking at.
    Thanks for the info. Every bit helps :D I just know the E brake was clipped because it was rusty and the gas tank was fixed. Also it squeaks every time i turn hard. My Gfs uncle said it was just the power steering saying thats as sharp as it can turn. I didnt think it had power steering lol since its old