lite relay upgrade done

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 71gold, Dec 15, 2003.

1. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :clap: :clap: earl, and i, did our upgrade yesterday. they came out great. my high beam indicator light even works now. i have been trouble shooting that for a while. that was the first thing i noticed. the lights are whiter. we checked and had almost 2 volts more at the lights. the diagram we got off the net was a big help but we went another way. the way we went we didn't cut any wires. we felt this way if anything went wrong on the road we could just plug in the stock wireing.
    it was a lot of fun and we had some good chilli.
    i was honored to be working with our new state rep.
    looking foward to doing another project together...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

2. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    So I take it then that you plugged the original socket into a plug that you wired to the relay? Sounds like a great idea.

3. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    you got it:clap: :bananaman :clap: to us that was better than cutting the wires and then butt splicing them back together again.
    we got two new head lite plugs and made a harness for each lite. made one 5 ft. long with a 2 ft. ground. red green and black. the other one was 8 ft. long with a 2 ft. ground. they were too long but that gave us some play when running the harness.
    the relays we used were auto zone DF005. it was an easy job. just check and make sure you wire the new plugs the same as the stock ones...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

4. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Frank; had a great time. I will look at the relays you gave me and see which relays NOT to use. These are internally wired differently, although the card says different.

Earl

5. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: no doubt, that pair of relays put a squeeze on the old brain cells.:D :D ...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

6. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    Do you guys have any pics of your setup? Anything I should know for a first time headlight brightener? :) I want to do the plug thing like you guys did, in case I need to take it off later. Thanks guys! This should be great, glad it worked so well for you. This will be a nanner job :) :bananaman :bananaman :bananaman
    -Corbin

7. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    corbin, this is what we did. to start with, you can change anything from here to your likings. dissconnect the battery. we made two pigtails. driver side is 8 feet long and made of red and green 14 ga. wire with a headlite plug on the end. the pass. side is 5 feet long and made of 14ga. wire with a headlite plug on the end. we wrapped the wires with tape. unplug the driver headlite. you can tape this plug up or like i did use it to run other lites.plug the 8ft. pigtail into the light and run it to where the relays are mounted. we put ours on the shock tower to be close to the power source.
    next, plug the pass. plug into the light and run it to the same place.
    next mount the relays, we used two from auto zone. DF005. (three counting the one we put on the fan and choke.) just wire the relays per instructions. put the low beam on one relay and the highs on the other. the switching means lug will hook to the old pass. headlite plug.we used red and green wire to match the stock wireing. we ran our batt. power wire through a 4 fuse fuse block. if you have a batt. cabel with the little wire on it ,that will make a good place to get the power to the fuse block. if any more ??? ask earl:D :D...frank...pics. comming

8. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks Frank!
    I think I have this straight, but please let me know. Sorry for so many questions. :rolleyes:
    So you didn't use the old driver's side plug at all, just disconnected it (taped if want, or use for other things - I assume you made your driving lights work with it), and plugged in the new plug you made into the headlight, and routed it back to the relay. As far as the passenger's goes, you made a male plug to go into the stock headlight plug for the two wires, red and green, to go back to the relays to provide the power to switch them when you pull the switch. Then you have the red and green from the headlight to the relay, like the driver's side.

I think I am getting this right... Thanks, sounds like a pretty easy swap once you get everything sorted out. :) :bananaman :bananaman

Talk to you later!
    -Corbin

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  9. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :bananaman :bananaman corbin, me thinks you have it. i just used two spade connectors for the male plug in the pass. stock plug, then taped it up. any more ??? just ask. good luck...frank...:bananaman :bananaman

10. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Great! Thanks for all the help Frank, and Earl! I'll be getting the stuff after Christmas, and I'll let you know how it goes. What fuse did you use - 20 amp? Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!
    -Corbin

11. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I bought my relay setup from Painless Performance products #30815 about $70 from Summit. Nice weathertight connections even on the relays. Made a huge difference.

12. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :D corbin, 20 amp fuse is what we used.. M1970, do you have a pic of the relay set up you used? earl, and i were talking about getting a relay box from a later model car. something to hide the relays. a relay here and there is common on newer cars but look a little out of place on the older ones.JMO. as long as they are put on in good taste and don't look like a bird nest they will be fine. so far no one has asked, what is that? did you burn the wireing off? did you have to rewire everything? none of thoes ????? a box would make it look "store bought" that is the look i try to give any mod. i do....frank...:bananaman :bananaman

13. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Here's a pic of the relay wiring harness from Painless:
    -Corbin

Attached Files:

14. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    Maybe I'll go to Pick and Pull to get a Relay and Fuse box to put them in. Most of the ones I see are huge, but maybe they have some smaller ones. I also need to look for a delay wiper setup. This will be like Christmas, after Christmas! :D
    -Corbin

15. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    :D corbin, if you find one that you think will be nice, note what make and year it came off. if anyone else finds one let us know....frank...:bananaman :bananaman