5.0 obd ii

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jsarnold, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    I'm doing some long range planning/dreaming and have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer.

Someday I'd like to replace my 302 with a 5.0 with OBD II. Maybe using the engine, transmission, sensors, computer and wiring harness from a donor vehicle.

Are there any vehicles other than the '96-'01 Explorer/Mountaineer that would have a 5.0 with OBD II? Will a '96/early '97 Explorer/Mountaineer intake fit under the Maverick hood? Any other fitment issues, like maybe the shock tower braces?

2. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    The 96 5.0l F series and Bronco used OBDII and 4R70W trans. You would need a car intake and accessory drive system. those apps also retain the distributor if that's what you want. I would use the harness and sensors from the truck and try to source a 5.0HO from a mustang or mark VII unless you're building the engine, then you can have what you want. The Explorer intake does fit under the hood, but I've seen several variations of that intake just on this forum. I have a stock 5.0HO intake that fits but I custom made the body braces. I'll try and post pics sometime tomorrow. When I figure it out.:hmmm:

3. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Just curious why you prefer the OBD2?
    Just because it will greatly complicate the install, when the good ol' EEC IV will be plug-n-play. If OBD2 ever came with a 5.0 in a car, then it would be easier, but the truck stuff is different enough to put you into custom wiring. Exploder is probably 10x worse with it's crank trigger and distributorless ignition.

The Exploder intake is about 1/2" taller than the stock 5.0 HO intake.

If you want to run EGR on your car, you need the early intake with EGR passages.
    The difference in the later intake is lack of internal EGR. The Exploder TB is cool, but the linkage is backwards compared to the HO.
    I swapped an HO linkage arm on my Exploder TB.

The truck fuel rails don't work in car applications either. Learned that during HO to Exploder intake swap.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. Clintd

Clintd Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 89 Cougar (sleeper), 04 Superduty and a 87 Cougar
    Go with EEC-IV and a distributor. I have 2 complete explorer engines and harness, and a explorer setup in my maverick that I use a A9P ECM from a 87-93 mustang.
    curently most of the DIY tuning software available dosent suport the explorer strategy. The A9P is one of the most suported ECM's made and I can change everything to suit my mods.

Go EEC-IV and you will be happy.

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    This is what, I'm also working on.

6. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Thanks for all the good info.

I've been thinking OBD II because I've had good luck finding problems in a couple of instances with a cheap reader, things like this http://www.ultra-gauge.com are available, and I'm assuming tuning software is available. Haven't done anything about gauges yet and the ultra-gauge looks like a nice solution. Is there something like that available for an EEC-IV setup?

Too bad there wasn't a car with 5.0 and OBD II since the truck stuff complicates things. I have near-zero experience with EFI, EECs, and distributorless ignitions and am thinking a complete system transplant might be less complicated than a mixed set of parts.

EGR isn't an issue for inspections -- no inspections in NC for anything 35 years old or older. Only reason I'd want it would be to simplify things with a complete system transplant.

Guess I need to look into EEC-IV.

Think my priorities would be:

1. Common laptop tunable EFI and ignition.
    2. Overdrive auto that fits in a '72 Mav
    3. Diagnostics
    4. Donor availability
    5. Usable wiring harness
    6. Aftermarket performance enhancers
    7. Aftermarket single display electronic gauges

All suggestions appreciated.

7. 74 GRABBER

74 GRABBER Member

Vehicle:
    1974 grabber, 1995 mustang GT, 1967 mustang coupe, 1956 Caddilac sedan Deville
    Everything your looking for can be had with eec-iv and added simplicity, and available parts.

Also don't forget the anti theft system incorporated into the 96.5 (i believe) and above obd-ii set ups.

take a gander through this site lots of info here.
    http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

Hope that helps:)

8. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Will do. thanks.

Edit: Great site!! I'll be spending some time there.

9. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    I agree with the general concensus of the guys on this one. I use an A9L (manual trans version of the A9P) and have had zero problems. I took out the EGR spacer and threaded the lower intake where the EGR passage is for a 3/8np plug and mounted the throttle body directly to the intake. There are enought generic scanners out there that will read EEC4 that you really don't necessarily need OBDII just for access. There are also a ton of chips available for the early system and they are very reliable compared to the more complicated newer system. (alot less finicky, too!) I don't think I've had a single EEC related problem with that system since I put it in there 40k miles and 11 years ago. (I may have just jinxed myself)

10. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    OK. '87-'93 EEC IV donor car. So glad I asked. Next question is software. I'll be back when I've read up a little on the options. Expect fordfuelinjection.com is a good place to start.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  11. Clintd

Clintd Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 89 Cougar (sleeper), 04 Superduty and a 87 Cougar
  12. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    We got the 'universal harness' from the FFI site... Was about $450 just for the harness, but it is soooooooooooo easy. Every single wire is where it needs to be, every wire is labeled down it's entire length, and the harness only contains what the engine needs. All smog connections are deleted and, in the case of the EGR, the 'fix' is incorporated into the wiring.

There is a 'classic harness' that is supposed to be plug-n-play for Falcons, Stangs, Broncos, and presumably Mavericks/Comets... It is 50 bux more, but I believe it is made for even easier install than the universal, and I think it has the alternator/regulator hookups, which are NOT on the universal. Check to be sure though.

Don't just look at Stangs for your donor though. HO 5.0s came in Lincoln LSC/Mark 7, as well as Thunderbird/Cougar. You'll need to run one of the 2 Stang ECMs though. The 'other' HO cars were not on the same page as the Stangs when it comes to ECMs, wiring, and MAF sensors. The Stang ran MAFs from 89-93 IIRC, but the 'others' ran SD (speed density) most of those years... So the wiring and ECM are different.

HOs only used forged pistons through 92. 93 used weaker, but lighter, hyper-pistons. 89 and up 5.0 Thunderbird/Cougar used a short 94-95 Mustang style intake that has less aftermarket support... But if you were going to an Exploder intake, that wouldn't matter. For that matter, you could use a 94-95 Stang engine if you didn't care about losing the forged pistons and were swapping on a GT40 intake. The end result would be the same when matched to a A9 ECM and MAF.

Just some thoughts...
    Good luck.

13. 74 GRABBER

74 GRABBER Member

Vehicle:
    1974 grabber, 1995 mustang GT, 1967 mustang coupe, 1956 Caddilac sedan Deville

I disagree here a bit, but everyone has different opinions on EEC-IV tuning.

I would go with Tweecer or Megasquirt. Not as user friendly but ALOT more tuning options.

EDIT: to the OP, do you want to be able to "tune" your car on a regular basis with new modifications twice a year or are you just looking to have your car "tuned" for your spacific combo that will likely not change much in a year or so?

If its "tuned" your looking for, I would skip the "tuner software" and just go straight to a local reputable tuner and have a chip burnt for your car. No hastle, you know its done right and your done with it except for driving.

If you want to be able to tune your own car and feel comfortable doing so (not easy sometimes fair warning) then look int any the above mentioned systems quarter horse, tweecer, megasquirt, fast, all have options for EEC-IV pick your poison and go from there.

14. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Good thoughts!! On the harness, I'm retired so my time is worth about $1.50/hr. :yup: I'll might TRY to use the donor harness. Can always give up and go to the aftermarket harness.

Lots of good info coming out in this thread!

15. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Once things are set up I might change something once a year or less. Would be fun to try to tune it myself but obviously have lots to learn. We'll see about that. Thanks for comments.