1972 Factory AC Blower Motor PN/Interchange?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by UnknownCubicle, May 12, 2023.

1. UnknownCubicle

UnknownCubicle Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    Hello, everyone,

My blower motor on my '72 with factory AC is making noise like a mouse with throat cancer being flayed alive, so I want to replace it. Trouble is, it is a factory AC car, and I can't find anywhere that states certainly that the motors I am finding at Rock Auto, PartsGeek, Summit Racing, 4 Seasons, etc. are direct fits for cars with FACTORY AC rather that dealer installed.

Does anyone know what the FoMoCo PN is, or what motor interchanges with the one I have? Thanks.

Also, would anybody be interested in a long-form post that chronicles my restoration of the factory AC in my car, complete with part numbers, availability, interchanges, and updates? The plan is to go factory on the inside of the fire wall, and all Vintage Air parts under the hood.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Factory air, D0DZ-19805-A, service replacement MM281. Supposedly comes with blower wheel as a balanced assembly.

Unless they were drowned in water, clean & lube has fixed every one I've seen. Of course that involves taking it apart.

3. UnknownCubicle

UnknownCubicle Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    Thank you very much. Very strange that I could find absolutely no information online. (I travel for work, now, so I can't just rip stuff apart to see what I can see.)

Edit: Does PN D6DZ-19805-B directly replace the older one? Might be good to confirm that they are the same assy. if they are.

Edit 2: Found D6DZ-19805-B on ebay and went ahead and bought it so I can report back. I will also report back if the Old Air Evaporator core that they list as a '73 and later is a direct fit. I think I will do a write up of all of the parts I use whether or not y'all want it, just to have it archived for the next guy.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    Shorty and mojo like this.
  4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I consulted Ford's Master Parts Catalog.

The numbers were both good in '79, apparently Ford thought they are not interchangeable.

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    mine was making a grinding noise when I made right hand turns. pulled it out and found a ladies watch in the fan. I think it was laid on the dash and slid down the defroster vent.
    all good now...:thumbs2:

Shorty likes this.
  6. UnknownCubicle

UnknownCubicle Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    I got to be home this weekend and snapped a photo of my motor. Just wanted to archive the factory PN here. C46B1F8D-DFB4-4E1B-BCA4-6ABF81922F44.jpeg 83213FF2-CC8C-4749-9A4F-3EDCBC94D617.jpeg

7. UnknownCubicle

UnknownCubicle Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    Also, could somebody please point me in the direction of a thread about evap cores? I am trying to figure out if the evap core out of a '75 with factory air will fit a '72 with factory air. Specifically a new unit from Old Air Products, PN 10-1371.

8. krelboyne

krelboyne Remember

Correct, typically these were an assembly from Ford. Fan motor, mounting plate and fan wheel. The motors should all be the same for the era.

9. funkyole

funkyole Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick grabber
    I KNOW MY 1970 A/C CAR HAS THE SAME BOX AS A 1971 MUSTANG.....

10. UnknownCubicle

UnknownCubicle Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    upload_2023-5-30_10-42-42.png

upload_2023-5-30_10-43-26.png

upload_2023-5-30_10-47-58.png

So here is what I have learned so far:

On the vacuum end of things: The factory AC cars have a special heater valve that has a vacuum port on both sides of the diaphragm. Nobody seems to make a generic version of these, so NOS seems to be the way to go. The Torino, Maverick and Pinto all had this type of valve, so happy hunting. The Mustang one only has the vacuum port on top of the diaphragm, and I am not sure how to make that work. Other than that, the door motors seem to be common to Mustangs and easily found at places like CJ Pony.

The canister/check valve (Pictured above) can be substituted for any number of aftermarket units available at JEGS or Summit.

For electrical, the fan motor seems to be rare as hen's teeth, and I got lucky to find a NOS one that will work. I plan to use relay logic and a trinary switch on a receiver/drier from Vintage Air, as well as one of their condensers and compressors.

On the mechanical end of things, the heater core seems to be pretty readily available from Summit, Rock Auto, etc. No trouble there.

The evaporator core, on the other hand, is no longer available new anywhere at all, so going over to Original Air and getting on their list for a one-to-one duplication seems to be the way to go, unless you want to modify a Mustang unit. I will link to a thread on this forum that goes more into depth on how to make that work.

Evaporator Duplicating Service (Tube & Fin) | Original Air Group

My '73 Comet GT Restoration Thread | Page 27 | Maverick/Comet Forums

I hope this helps future folks who want to do something similar to their Mavericks.