351W swap....what do I need in parts?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by bloodrunsblue, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Bob55

Bob55 Member

Check the shape of the transmission pan, it will ID what transmission you have on both engines. Here's a link:

http://www.autotran.us/fmABpg21.htm

If it's a C6 behind the 351 and not an FMX, it should be very easy to trade for a good C4. The C4 would be a direct bolt in for the car, and is more than capable of handling a stock 351 in a light car such as the Maverick/Comet.

(y)

2. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    There is nothing to be fretting about.
    You have 3 choices on the headers. We outlined them for you.
    Tubular Automotive... 1.5" tubes... 400-500 bux (slight trim in engine bay)
    Hooker... 1.75" tubes... 400-500 bux (needs the most work on engine bay)
    Crites... 1.75" tubes... 300-400 bux (need a small rib trimmed on towers)

Those are your choices.
    There is a generic header that is sold on eBay and by Summit/Jegs that claims it is for all sorts of Fords with 289/302/351w. The Maverick/Comet is listed in with all the other Fords they fit, but our cars are not like the others, such as Mustang, that those headers will fit a 351w. It is an oversight on the part of the header maker. Yes they fit a 351w in Mustangs, Torinos, etc... but NOT Maverick/Comet. Only fit a 289/302 in our cars. Those headers trip up newbies to Mavericks often due to the way they word the fitment.

Your only other exhaust choice is a set of 302 Maverick specific exhaust manifolds. They must be Maverick/Comet, or they won't work. I have heard folks say they go right in, and others say they had to grind the high spots off the manifolds to get them in. Either way it doesn't hurt anything, I had to grind massive amounts of iron off of 351c manifolds to get them in a Maverick.

If you have a C6, the bellhousing does not unbolt from the tranny.
    I don't believe an AOD bell unbolts either...
    C6 flexplate and TC don't swap to C4...

3. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    Putting that 351w in will cost no more than what would be required to get a 302 in that car except the more expensive headers. Everything else is the same.

Instead of $100+ headers, you'll need $300+ headers.
    $200 more overall.

Also, keep the van starter, it should work with a C4...

4. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    o.k sssssssso here's what im getting from all your GGGREAT REPLIES (thanks)....I'm just gonna keep the C4 that's in the maverick. I can easily sell the van tranny (if its a C6) on my local Craigslist and get some good cash from it to help pay for other needed parts. Im gonna need Headers (probably the Crites brand). Im gonna need to buy maverick V8 motor mounts (that's easy). Im gonna need to buy a different bellhousing. I dont know what kind of specific bellhousing I need or WHERE to get that part??? (advise please on that part purchase). Im gonna need a maverick V8 flexplate (i can buy that easy to at parts store im gathering). Im gonna need a different TC. Im NOT sure which kind of TC to get and WHERE to buy that part yet (advise on that please). I think that's it....if Im missing something let me know? OOOOOOOOO and am I gonna need to buy the "belly bar thing"...? If so, where can I get THAT part? AND I want to install a floor shifter TOO if that's possible. Is there a specific floor shifter anybody recommends? Ive been seeing the B&M Megashifter alot. Most of YOU maverick restorers probably dont install aftermarket floor shifters, but I like them, and hopefully that can be installed too (advise on that please). To sum it all up, Im gonna install the 351W and keep the stock maverick 6 popper C4 tranny and get the other parts and "pricy headers" and I should be good to go....

5. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    I have run both Megashifter and Z-Gate shifter in Mavericks.
    I prefer the Z-Gate myself.
    It is the cheaper of the two.
    It has a cheap looking plastic handle, but that can be changed for any handle with the same threads that you like. I put an aluminum B&M T-handle on mine.

6. maverick maniac

maverick maniac Banned

Vehicle:
    72 sprint v/8 3 grabbers 73 comet and a 77 comet race car
    you will also need motor stands (in addition to motor mounts) and a v/8 cross member your 6 cyl.one will not work

7. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    I told him about the frame stands, but he may have forgotten.

What crossmember are you talking about?
    The only difference between 6 and 8 cylinder tranny crossmember is the second hump for additional exhaust clearance. It is nice to have, but it's not a 'must have'. Same for the 'belly bar', which I6 cars don't have, but v8 cars do. Nice to have, but won't stop the show.

8. maverick maniac

maverick maniac Banned

Vehicle:
    72 sprint v/8 3 grabbers 73 comet and a 77 comet race car
    I have a v/8 grabber and pulled the crossmember and tried to put a 6 cyl. one on and it would not work holes did not line up ..don.t know why but did not fit ,,what say you

9. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    The engine mounts are in 4 parts total.
    The lower portions, which bolt to the structure of the car on each side, are generally called "frame stands", "frame mounts", or "engine stands".
    These 2 parts are NOT available at the corner parts store.
    The best place to get these is right here on the board.
    If you keep your eyes open, they often show up for sale in the classifieds for 40-50 bux. However, if you are in a hurry, there are probably plenty of folks that would come out of the woodwork with a pair for 75-100 bux. And if you really want instant gratification, AutoKrafters gets about 150 bux for a new pair of repops.

Then there are the upper parts...
    They are identical and interchangeable from side to side.
    These are the engine mounts, or sometimes called "insulators".
    These are the "easy" parts... Roughly 15 bux each at Advance.

So, figure 30 bux for uppers, and lowers will range widely depending on your timing and luck.

10. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    shifter

ya, there's a megashifter on Craigslist for $50.......they wont return my calls on it. probably already been sold or the seller is just stupid and dont answer phone messages...ha, ha. And i saw a front sump oil pan on ebay for $40......it that a good price to pay? And will I need to change the oil PUMP since im going to a front sump pan? Still looking for headers too. Dang there's a ton of headers ONLINE, but Im not sure all the specifics yet. They all say maverick 351w, but now im leary about the headers cause i dont wanna get screwed on the right fit....do you know where ONLINE i can see pictures of headers that will fit my mav with the soon to be 351w??? AND have you heard of "Dougs Headers" online....??? Any toughts on what/where to get the torque converter??? get a new or used and whats the specifics on the TC that I need to look for? thanks again!!!

11. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    hmmm....ic now about the ENGINE STANDS. I was wondering what that part was....ha, ha. Ya, i thot the motor mounts was just the 2 pieces, so i need the bottom parts too, gotcha on that part (wrote in my parts list). I need more info on the TC......and i need info on the bellhousing aspect.

12. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Torque converter is going to depend on where your engine makes power as far as RPM is concerned.For a daily driver street car I would stay in the 2000 to 2400 RPM stall range. I would advise against a used one unless it comes with the trans it has been attached too.As for the bell housing aspect. C-4s' behind 200 CID engines use a bell with a small diameter and unique bolt pattern.You will need a V-8 bell for a 302 or 351 Windsor.There is a rub here as well some 302s' use a 164 tooth fly wheel and some use a 158 tooth.The 164 is generally found in light duty pickups w/302/c-4 combos and roller 302s'(5.0s').351W had 164 tooth in trucks and most car apps.There is no rhyme or reason to it (FORD) Either will work in a mav.As for ID'ing em I am at a loss (allways lucked out I guess)I am certain someone will chime in with that info.You also have to be certain of the imbalance on the flywheel.For a 351W is has to be 28 OZ. NOT 50 OZ.Dont forget with the front sump oil pan you will need a front sump oil pickup tube.(you DONT need to change the oil pump)Hope this helps you some.Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  13. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    so i should buy a NEW tc, and generally get that stall speed.....and i guess just make sure that the new tc is for my 1983 ford 351W motor that will soon be bolted to my C4 tranny that's already in my mav....? is that correct so i can write that stuff down....?

14. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    The TC has to match the trans and engine application.Note... the C-4 trans from a 200 does not have as many clutches in it as a V-8 one does so dont bang on it much, or you will kill it.Get a bell first then worry about the TC and fly wheel.They all have to match each other and you need the bell to know which flywheel you need.

15. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    hmmm....so you saying im gonna need to change flywheels too? dang. And im waiting to hear from somebody about where to get a v8 bell and any other specifics and that area? get a used bell from where or get a new one or what? you know - i sure was counting on using this tranny from the donor van.....this is getting complicated....and to think that i scrapped a perfectly good van with 102, 000 miles on it so i could keep the motor/trans for this maverick....ha, ha, ha.