351W swap....what do I need in parts?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by bloodrunsblue, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Have you verified the trans from the van as a C-6 ? If its a C-4 you can use it.Fly wheel you have should be fine.Just have to be certain of the tooth count.Should be 164 tooth...which means you need a 164 tooth bell for the C-4.You cant use the TC from the C-6.I believe the spline counts/input shaft diameters are different from a C-4.

2. Bob55

Bob55 Member

You've also got trade options with the C6/FMX from the van..... if it's a small block (302/351 W) C6, there are plenty of folks out there that are looking for a stronger automatic behind a high horsepower small block or in an application that requires more "grunt" than a C4 will put forth. You might be able to swap the van trans/flexplate/TC for a passenger car V8 C4 setup.

Don't forget that a higher stall converter means higher heat in the transmission, you may want to consider an additional or remote trans cooler to be safe.

Low buck is one thing, but there are places you really can't skimp on....penny wise but pound foolish. It's always cheaper/easier to do it right the first time.

Just my 2 cents worth........

3. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    is there any way to physically LOOK @ my van tranny (its in the garage) and tell if its a c4 or a c6? other than counting the pan bolts (somebody else told me to do that)...? I might have to roll the motor and trans over to its side to count the pan bolts correctly. This motor and trans hooked up is heavy/bulky...I doubt if I can move it much to see good enought to count the tranny pan bolts to make a visual comparison. So is there any OTHER way of looking at the tranny as it sets in my garage to determine the model? IF IT HELPS TO TELL YOU THIS HERE -> THE DONOR VAN "WAS" A 1983 FORD ECONOLINE "OSAGE BEACH CONVERSION VAN". Ya, i was telling the wife about having to do all this changing and she said dang! you could just find a totally different v8 issue c4 probably for all the money you'd need to spend to upgrade your 6 popper c4......

4. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    You could carefully jack up the tail shaft and look with a mirror or use your fingertip eyeballs and count em by feel(dont drop the thing on your hand!!!) Listen to the wife...She is wise...:bowdown:

5. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    71maverick, 80 mustang, 84 mustang, 70camaro, 67camaro, 7o nova, 68 chevelle
    I wouldnt try to put the tranny from your 200 behind the 351, 4 one thing it may be a c3,the other is most sell you the whole tranny not just the bell housing anyway, i have tore up so many c4 behind my 351 that if you did happen to get a 6 cyclinder c4 behind it you would kill it the first time you stepped hard on the gas and believe me you will when you fill how it pulls your little car, as for the headers i ended up using manifolds because everything rubbed holes in the headers. good luck and enjoy. p.s. very tight fit, took a crane and 3 of us jumping on the bumper to get one out

6. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    oh yeah to check your tranny from the top is easy, c6 and aod are one piece9bell housings dont unbolt, c4 and c3 do unbolt, if it is a fmx which i dont believe was offered in 1983 it will fit(cast iron not aluminum

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    ya, im pretty disappointed in all the news everybodys giving me about this swap ordeal....I had no idea the c6 wouldnt go. Maybe I will get lucky and find out that my donor van tranny (i think is a c6) will turn out to be a v8 c4??? that'd be cool!!!!!! I still HAVE NOT had anybody tell me WHY the heck the c6 wont work??????????? Somebody said something about making mods...? And i guess there's that issue with the driveshaft length......dang, i hate it when somebody tells me my drive shaft is tooooooo long!!!!

8. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    (biggest reason a C-6 wont work)C-6 wont physically fit in the car...trans tunnel is too small.

9. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    o.k and where will ic the area if it un-bolts? i kinda looked at it briefly after it was outta the van....it didnt look to me like it was an "overly large" tranny....but it looked like it was one big piece to me (at the time). I'D LOVE SOMEBODY TO TELL ME WHAT IT WOULD TAKE TO INSTALL MY 351/C6 WITHOUT MODS....?

10. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    and drive shaft is different length, and the cross member mounts farther back, just dont try it unless u want to build a full chassis car

11. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    hate to say this but buy a different car as n not a maverick is the only way to just drop a c6 in

12. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    You cant install the C-6 without major mods...(sorry)
    As for the bell housing.The C-4 rounds down to the trans body thats where the seam is (kinda like a manual trans/bell set up).A C-6 does not round down, it all just flowes together as one piece.

13. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    the bell housing separates close to the same area a standard comes apart but there are no bolts on the out side of the c4 or c3 but if it is a c6 it is smooth 9with out a gap, cleaning off the tranny in this area should confirm your tranny type

14. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    i just now counted the tranny pan bolts....just felt under it w/fingers all the way round best i could. I count 17 bolts....i guess its a freaking C6.

15. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    so now.....how do i tell if my MAV has the C4 or the C3? nobody told me there is even a C3 till now..........!!! I love my MAV. If i gotta find a C4 then SSSSSSSo be it.......