351W swap....what do I need in parts?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by bloodrunsblue, Sep 10, 2009.

1. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    71maverick, 80 mustang, 84 mustang, 70camaro, 67camaro, 7o nova, 68 chevelle
    most dont know that ford built the c3 for smaller motors as in the 200 and170 and a few 4 cyclinders. i found out the hard way. like i said before you dont really want to use a weaker c4 anyways, besides you will have a easier time buying the full tranny then finding just the bell housing. any thing with a 250, 289, 302, or 351 small car to 1980 should have what your looking for. few newer do also as in mustangs and fairmonts but you would have to know exactly what your looking for

2. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    p.s. dont give up a 351 in a maverick is well worth the trouble and tickets

3. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    ya, im sure i will get it all figured out....im in no big hurry to get the swap done. My MAV runs GGGreat as it is (56,000 original miles on her). I just hate the feel and SOUND of this 6 popper. I know this 351W runs like a "big dawg" cause ive driven the van for almost 2 years and it only had 102,700 miles on her. I was the second owner of the van and I bought it from an older couple that had the van since day one....they mainly drove the van on vacations with the grandkids and it stayed parked inside a garage too. It "was" a nice van, but unfortunately it is now scrap metal!!!

4. Bob55

Bob55 Member

Check out my previous post with the link to the transmission ID, it even shows the shape of the transmission pans to help confirm.

The C6 is a physically much larger transmission, not only will you need to change where the rear mount is and enlarge your transmission tunnel, you'll also need to "modify" (hammer) your firewall to make it fit.

5. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    ya....i just found a nice C4 v8 tranny locally for sale, im gonna grab it up and Im good to go on the tranny swap aspect. Thanks for the advise!!!

6. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    dont forget u also need flexplate and converter for the c4

7. maverick maniac

maverick maniac Banned

Vehicle:
    72 sprint v/8 3 grabbers 73 comet and a 77 comet race car
    has some one said ,,front sump oil pan and timing cover ??that is different as well

8. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    timing cover is different? that is new to me, as for the oil pan i believe I got mine from a late 60's galaxie?

9. maverick maniac

maverick maniac Banned

Vehicle:
    72 sprint v/8 3 grabbers 73 comet and a 77 comet race car
    yes they have no dip stick in the front because they have a rear sump so that is on the side

10. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    like i said in my last post.....i just found a V8 C4 tranny locally. This C4 was previously hooked to a 351W motor that was in a Ford LTD. Now if Im gonna need anything else to adapt the V8 C4 to my 351 let me know? The owner of this C4 says it comes with the stock converter. This C4 supposedly has less than 60,000 actual original miles on it so that being said - Im assuming it will bolt right up to my current 351W and Im off and running.

11. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Should work fine.Both flywheels should be 164 tooth.If you can,get the flex plate from the engine the trans came from, just incase the depth is different on the flywheel from the C-6.As for the front cover...you can drill the boss on the T-chain cover where the dipstick goes.Boss is on the right side above the pan rail of the cover.Then just plug the hole in the block.Not a biggie.(unless your cover does not have the boss) some dont.Good luck!!!

12. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    excactly what is this "flexplate" thing? and what the heck if the "boss" thing? And do i need a different timing cover too or what? Ya and Ive gotta switch to the front sump pan (found one of those too) I need a different oil pump sending unit or what? Can I use my exsisting oil pump thats in my 351 now? I know oil pumps are cheap....since im changing pans maybe i should do the swap oil pump too while im inside?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  13. beeje40

beeje40 Member

Vehicle:
    flexplate is the fly wheel, boss is on the timing cover( it may have a place that shows where the dipstick goes but will need drilled. oil pump is the same but do advise a new one and your pickup will be the same as the 302 for a maverick yes you wil need to buy one

14. bloodrunsblue

bloodrunsblue Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    let me get this straight so i can add it to my notes. The flexplate IS the flywheel. O.k and the flywheel is that part of the tranny or part of the motor really? I know what a flywheel LOOKS LIKE...im not totally dumb (ha, ha, ha) SO i guess if i go get this C4 tranny I "need to get the flywheel from where" backside of HIS motor or is the flywheel usually always attached to the tranny? The guy with the C4 said that the tranny has been seperated, and the torque converter he believes is still attached to the motor (i think thats what he said) cause i asked him to include his TC so I can have it if needed....

15. Bob55

Bob55 Member

Flexplate is automatic trans, flywheel is manual trans, just semantics they both do pretty much the same thing.

The flexplate is mounted to the back of the crankshaft, which is what the TC bolts to. If the TC is still on the engine, have him take that off, as well as the flexplate. It's always nice to have the complete assembly just in case. If he'll save the bolts for you that's a plus, the bolts should be the same between the two but better safe than sorry, it could save a trip to the parts store at a most inopportune time.

Sounds like it's coming together, good job getting on track!