4.6 Police Interceptor motor In a Mav?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by awannabegrabber, Sep 29, 2007.

1. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    73 four door, 74 starsky&hutch mav, a 93SHO, an 03 gt, and a 94 gt
    It doesn't seem the 4.6 would be the engine of choice for Police cars and Taxi's (and Police cars turned Taxi's), cars that see very hard use and abuse and very high mileage, if they were junk.

That said, if you are just putting a 4.6 in a Maverick to be different, well, you are no different then the other guy that has already done it (along with a T56) or who ever does it next. The effort doesn't seem worth the end result in my opinion, if using just a stock old 4.6 Police car motor.[/quote]

well i was just stating my opinion, and i have NEVER seen a 4.6sohc with more than 170,000 miles and still be worth a damn. And putting one of these in a mav to be different may be cool, but HARDLY worth the effort. even if the motor and trans was FREE!! oh and them being a choice for police cars is not really a choice made by the police, they just buy the things in most cases. for instance, all the police chargers around here have a 2.7L, and that is the biggest piece of CRAP chrysler has ever or will ever make!!! just ask anyone who works on them professionally! same goes for a 4.6 sohc.

2. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    they tried to fix the intake situation with an aluminum coolant cross over in place of the composite one built into the intake. that didnt work much better bcause what it bolts to is about a 1/4 inch thick composite piece of the intake with a formed o-ring between them. the heat is inevitable. and eventually it will screw some part of the intake. the solution is professional products typhoon intake, it is all aluminum and flows much better than stock, trick flow also makes an intake that is just freakin bad azz, but with a hefty price tag,,,,in all it really is alot of effort when you could easily build and install a reliable 331 stroker and make loads of power!;)

3. awannabegrabber

awannabegrabber Always Learning

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick with a trim package
    Stock?? Who said it was gonna stay stock?

4. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    2.7?? the ones were i live have the 6.1 liter in em. small town cops suck.

5. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    havent seen that one yet, in fact i havent seen a 5.7 in a cop car yet, i mopar announced that houston has 4 of them but who knows:cool:

6. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    I wouldnt lie about it. The cops around were i live have the small town cop mentality were they like to show off their powa.

I know this because i asked him while i was being rudely "questioned" by a man of the law. He looked at the car and said its a 6.1 HEMI. Being that smart @$$ that i am i asked "Is it fast"..Chuckles out of him and said Yeah its faster than what your driving. "NO HE DIDNT" but yes... yes he did say that. and he is probably right. cuase i only ran 13.7 and i know the SRT8 magnums run that.

But the end is He wont race me at the drag strip that was 1 mile away. from were he pulled me over. BUT i got out of a ticket.

7. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    oh dude, i wasnt tryingto call you a liar! i was just saying ive never seen one. i had a cop come to give me a my friends a lecture for being out too late at the town car wash, butwhen he pulled in he shined his spotlight on my car and was like" is that a Maverick?" i replied,"yep." so he was like,"is it fast?" i told him to get out and see for himself, he did and when i crackedthe hood open, there was a long pause and he gave me that look like...."Damn!!" and we all just stood there waiting for him to say it......"wanna race?" but he never did!!

8. awannabegrabber

Vehicle:
    would you ever race a cop???

I dont know if i would...That would be hard to decide on

9. Bum's_Steer

Bum's_Steer Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2-dr. (Grabber clone) 1970 Maverick 2-dr.
    My 98 Interceptor's 4.6 has 154,000 on it, and the only thing gone wrong with it since I've had it was a busted harmonic balancer. Aside from that, it's been a very dependable motor.

That being said, there's nothing real exciting about the 4.6 either. Considering how complicated and expensive that engine swap would be, it's definately one of the LAST engines I'd pick "to do something different" with a Maverick.....even if I got the engine cheap.

I'm curious about the opposite kind of swap.....I'm wondering how hard it would be to drop a 5.0 (302) in my Crown Vic when the 4.6 finally does quit on me.

Better yet, considering all the room in that engine compartment for the 4.6......wonder if I could get a 460 in that puppy?

10. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    not sure, but if i did, i would have someone video the race so i could get out of a ticket

11. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    the 4.6 is physically larger and heavier than a 460

12. Bum's_Steer

Bum's_Steer Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2-dr. (Grabber clone) 1970 Maverick 2-dr.
    Hmmm, sounds like a do-able swap then :rolleyes:

13. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    In a situation like starsky mentioned, I probably would if the cop was cool about it. If a cop just pulled up next to me at a light and acted like he wanted to race, absolutely not. There is a retired sheriff that stops by our shop at work every now and then, who has a late 80's or early 90's Town Car with a 32V 4.6 Cobra motor swapped in it, with a Paxton supercharger on it. He does not hesitate to smolder the rear tires going up the street!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  14. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Larger, yes. But the weight depends on the specific 4.6 you use. I highly doubt the aluminum 4.6's are heavier then a 460.

15. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    holy damn!!!!:tiphat: