Boss/5.0 Maverick body style

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by stevez1969, Dec 16, 2008.

1. stevez1969

stevez1969 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    OK, Mav purists don't have a heart attack - this is just a poll of a design I came up with on my computer and no actual Maverics or Comets have gone under the knife.

For the rest of you - I was thinking about how all these body kits and such were out there for Mustangs, etc. Also, when one of these upgrade companies puts out a "New" version of the Mustang, it gets it's own name and so forth.

So, I had an idea that would change the looks of a Maverick/Comet by making it look sleeker and more streamlined. Right now I'm just working with the back quarter panel. I didn't put a spoiler on the new look yet, but I would like it to be a duck-tail. Of course at this stage it could be any type.

So why did I start this? Well, I have an 06 Mustang GT which gets a lot of looks and stares. So does my Maverick, but that's mostly because it is a rareity and sounds like a GT500 when I drive up.

The first thing I came up with was to run the roof line straight back from the roof to the back of the car. This concept is not new and has been used on lots of cars since the 60s. Call this "Mod 1" on the "new" Maverick/Comet". Also, it needs a no-nosense name so when you park next to that Shelby, people look a your car because it is a work of art.

Just for starters - BOSS Maverick/Comet, Maverick 5.0 -Comet 5.0.......

By the way, I actually intend on doing the mods on my car so there will be a real car to vote on. Here's the before and after pics. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    i realy dont care for it, looks kinda like the javlin

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Yup .. looks like and AMX Javelin

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Hey, I like a Javelin!!! Could be the 1st Mavelin (or Javerick) on the board! :)

5. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    It actually makes the car look shorter than it already is.

6. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Reminds me of a 69 or early 70's Mustang rear lines. I prefer the original.:)

7. 70ProStreet

70ProStreet Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick ex-B/SM car, 1978 F-150 4x4, 1992 5.0 Mustang, 1978 Jeep CJ7 (ford powered)
    No, it's too short to be a Javelin, It's a four seat MAVX. :rofl2:

I personally don't really care for it, but how about leaving the body, adding a Boss-style chin and rear spoiler along with Boss stripes and lovers, complete with a Boss 302, A boss Maverick.

8. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    everyone already assumes my car is a mustang anyway, no sence in trying harder... ;)

and dont call anything BOSS unless it actually has a real boss in it, plain 302/5.0's dont count

9. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
  10. Al Martin

Al Martin Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick
    Too many hatch-back cars in the world today

11. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
  12. Derek 5oComet

Derek 5oComet Tire burner

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet ,5.0L,5spd,9",3.89 trac lock, 12.40@110, 1967 Mercury Cougar 390 stick,1985 Mercury Capri 5.0,5 speed,1979 F150 4x4 460,1992 F150 Flareside,99 F250 SuperDuty V10
    I don't really care for it either, i really like the roof line on a Mav/Comet.
    To me i'm seeing this
    [​IMG]

Or maybee this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    yeah makes me think of a javelin, I wouldn't wnat anyone thinking my car was an AMC... shudder... Those boys were token up on something back at AMC design headquarters, Gremlin, Matador, Pacer!

14. stevez1969

stevez1969 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Oh, so you're an AMC expert - NOT!

It seems like several of you have jumped on the "looks like an AMC something." And now we have someone pissing on AMC because they built some odd vehicles. AMC was a tiny company compared to the other 3 so any ability to compete with them was slim at best.

What you don't know - AMC grew out of a company called Rambler. Basiclly, Rambler was looked at as a company for old and or conservative people. Rambler did not have anything to compete with the high performance or pony car market. That all changed when they changed their name in the mid 60s and became American Motors Corporation. They also completely changed their engine design to come out with the 290, 343 and 390. These were "hot" engines and in 1968 the Javelin and AMX were introduced. In the following years AMC sponsored several Super Stock teams and had 50 "out of the box" Super Stock AMXs built by Hurst - I guess you know who the Hurst company is. By the way, these AMX teams set many national records along with a Super Stock championship.

When AMC stopped building the 2 seater AMX (last year was 1970), the Super Stock racers eventually switched over to the Gremlin as the new platform. Anyway, you get the picture.

1976: Rambling — All-AMC Pro Stock final
    At the same 1976 NHRA Finals where Larry Lombardo won the title, both the Jenkins driver and two-time defending champion Bob Glidden were knocked out in eliminations by the underdog AMC Hornet X of engine builder Richard Maskin and driver Dave Kanners. Before the era of today’s generic 500-cid powerplants, the Hornet X used a genuine “Kelvinator” engine, albeit with radically modified cylinder heads. Kanners, who had yet to win a national event, had qualified No. 1 with an 8.76 and recorded low e.t. in the first three rounds. The only hurdle between Kanners and the winner’s circle was the other factory AMC entry, driven by Wally Booth. Kanners outran Booth in the final, 8.76 to 8.78, but Booth won by virtue of a quicker reaction time

As for the Matador, put this in your diary: 1974 - Bobby Allison drove Roger Penske's Matador into the lead 31 laps from the finish and won the Times 500 at Ontario Motor Speedway. Bobby Allison won the first race of 1975 at Riverside, California. This single car took 10 top-five finishes and 3 victories while running just 19 races in 1975.

I'm going to close this chapter on AMC with my personal info. My family owned an AMC dealership when I was growing up. As a senior in High School (1968) I had a 1968 Javelin SST. In 1975 I traded it for a 1969 Z28 Camaro. In 1976 I picked up a 1970 AMX for $250 and built a pro styled racecar - full roll cage, 343 ci engine, hooker headers, full Strange rear axle w/5:38 gears and 14" slicks. In the summer of 76 it was running low 11 seconds and one pass at 11:70 with a dropped valve. Not bad for 7 cylinders.

If you don't like the the looks of a company's car, or cars, that's your constitutional right - but don't bad mouth a small company that competed with the big 3, and pulled off some astonishing victories when the odds were clearly against them and eventually went out of business. Need I remind you that the BIG 3 (GM, Ford and Chrysler) put out their fair share of turkeys in the past.

Now, let's talk Maverick - mine is a 1972 with a 5.0L engine, headers, carb, cam, etc. The engine is going to a builder next week, I'm looking for a 9" rear axle that will get 5:11 gears, getting a 3500 stall converter and a tricked out C-4 with a trans brake. I expect the Mav to go as fast as the AMX I had - if it does, I will be quite happy. And then there is the other car - the one I waited 30 years to get - my stock 2006 Mustang GT. I raced it for a year and a half. 1/8 mile times were mid to low 8s. Having recently burnt up the auto trans, I was quite happy to find the Maverick to build up as a street/strip car. Besides, it sounds just as wild as a Shelby GT 500 and everyone likes its looks, especially kids. The other day I pulled into the parking lot at Walmart with my window down and a little boy shouted to his mom "look mom, it's Bumble Bee!" :yahoo:
    The end.

15. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    I hope you don't think I was baggin on AMC Steve. I have owned 4 since 1993 (that was when I could drive) I owned 1 willys which became part of AMC and I currently own one of the most recognized AMC's ever made right now the CJ7. AMC had some odd cars true, and their following for those odd cars is similar to our following for our little "odd" car the Maverick/Comet or the Pintos.

Also when Chrystler started taking over AMC in 1987 AMC was making profits off of their Jeep division. And when they relinquished full controll in 1992 they suddenly became the most profitable and one of the largest segments in the Chrystler line up. As for their engineering the last AMC motor was barely retired most people know it as the 4.0L I6 in the Wranglers. In the 50 somewhat year production run of those motors there has been little enough change that you can remove the 4.0L head and it will bolt onto the original 232 blocks with only minor mods.....:burnout:

Oh and my only complaint about the AMC V8 was that stupid timing cover that always warped. Pulled 3 outta junkyards rebuilt the pumps and they all leaked.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009