distributor upgrade electronic IGNITION help

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by pacolobo, Jul 9, 2015.

1. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    I'm not arguing...just posting a couple links. It's a no brainer... if you replaces an old worn out sloppy distributor with a new or rebuilt distributor, no matter what style, you will see or should see a difference in performance.

m in sc and Krazy Comet like this.
  2. 70GreenMonster

70GreenMonster Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    We didn't cheap out with the generic, made in China copies you can get on Ebay for $199. We got the real thing from Performance Distributors and it was over $400 after shipping and tax. The real thing has a hardened bronze gear and billet aluminum body. Ours has been in the car for over a year now and we have had no problems and we get great performance. Easy start hot or cold, smooth idle, good torque all the way through the rpm range from idle -up. For the last 5 months the car has been making a brutal 75 mile round trip commute with half highway and half of it heavy city traffic with lots of stop and go in mid 90's temperatures. (Titusville to Winter Park driving across state road 50) We haven't needed to adjust anything since the initial setting of the timing when we swapped to the big log cylinder head and Weber DGV 32/36. I recommend this upgrade to people that want a good performance upgrade with no hassles and a simple installation anyone can do. It is not a cheap upgrade but it is worth it. I cannot compare the DUI to the Duraspark or the Pertronix or a Mallory setup, I have not used those. I just know the DUI and Weber 2-bbl is an amazing upgrade from the Load-O-Matic and Autolite 1100 original factory pieces of crap we started with.

DGD likes this.
  3. 70GreenMonster

70GreenMonster Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    and that is why you will be doing maintenance and adjusting stuff while I start and go without problems.

Mavit likes this.
  4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Dream on...

5. Mavit

Mavit Member

Vehicle:
    two muatangs ansd one comet
    Every body has a right to his opinion I feel the same way about the MSD system
    When it works it works well but I can' afford to be buying boxes twice a year!

I

6. rlbriggs7212

rlbriggs7212 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 64 Fairlane 52 Henry J
    I have been using the MSD Duraspark combo since the mid 80's. Always the analog version MSD. My current 64 Fairlane race car has the original MSD 6AL. 4 different cars, 2 street and 2 race. I have never had a MSD 6 fail. I was able to buy a brand new MSD distributor for a killer deal, but found no performance advantage. A friend has a NHRA super stock T Bird with same setup. Runs his 351 C. engine well into the 8k range with no problems. I have also had great luck using an original Ford black-yellow top coil.

7. Mavit

Mavit Member

Vehicle:
    MSD boxes never fail that is why every NASCAR racer have two box's set up ready to go! at the flick of a switch!
    I give away a complete MSD distributor and ignition system and I will never own another one!

8. DGD

DGD Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Your solution to the ignition sounds great. What spark plugs did you go with ?

9. m in sc

m in sc Member

Vehicle:
    76 maverick 2 door, 62 6 cyl falcon, 66 390 Galaxie, and lots of vintage 2-stroke motorcycles
    i put a GM style el cheapo distributor in there on my 250, hei, with an MSD hei module from summit, with revlimiter, got out for about 165 total for all new stuff. you can tune the springs for curve and the vac advance as well, and its just fine, have had that distributor in the car over 5 years, ZERO issues. Same in my 66 galaxie with a 390. have a pertronix in the 62 200 falcon, but that's much more an original style car. Even painted the msd coil to look like a stocker. ;) GM got a few things right, in particular the 1 wire alternator and the hei systems.

10. gregmaverick

gregmaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    To guy who installed Weber carburetor: What size jets did you use?
    Thanks!

11. Mavit

Mavit Member

Vehicle:

There is only one way to make sure a MSD ignition don't spoil your race day, that is to make sure it isn't in your car.

jasonwthompson likes this.
  12. 70GreenMonster

70GreenMonster Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick

Champion copper with a considerably bigger gap than stock. I don't remember how much.

DGD likes this.
  13. DGD

DGD Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick

Yes, to a much bigger gap. Thanks for the Update.