Head question...

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by jtbshaw, Jun 25, 2017.

1. jtbshaw

jtbshaw Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    So I've found another set of reworked GT40 heads (new OEM springs and resurfaced and cleared by a local machine shop to be good). Based on using these heads, am I to understand correctly that a standard shorty set of headers will work in the Maverick chassis?

2. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    That's a whole study in itself. Type "Headers" in the search area and read on.
    For instance, you will have extra challenges if you have a column mounted gear selector. Lots of opinions on what works best. No single solution is perfect.

:yup:

MD

3. jtbshaw

jtbshaw Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if inverting the headers will work. As in the outlets would be forward facing? If they would clear the shock towers, then there are plenty of options to fabricate a single 2.5" or 3" tube to connect the remaining exhaust...or even have it exit in front. Just having some crazy thoughts and didn't find anything on that option in my searching.

4. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    My car came with hooker long tube headers, and no trans. The only C4 at P&P I could find was out of a Granada. (1) I wanted to retain the column shift, so went with a Granada shift cable. Some have worked out a rod from the column to the trans. (2) I had to get a drop bracket for my power steering ram because I wanted to retain power steering. (3) The arm on the steering box (pitman arm) will hit these headers on a left(?) turn, and I chose to gain some extra clearance by putting a dent in the header tube. It still hits, but barely. If your son is going to use the car as a daily driver, not enough clearance may mean a hole after awhile? I dont know, because I am new at this problem. If you have manual steering, you dont need the drop bracket. My car is a toy......if it were going to be transportation, I would have yanked those headers out and got some stock exhaust, but those may be difficult to find.

jtbshaw likes this.