New Member with a barn find Comet GT

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by zeidrach, Jul 13, 2014.

1. zeidrach

zeidrach Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet GT, barn find
    There has been some progress, but not much. Mostly gathering parts. I've been fairly busy with my foxbody, but that's pretty much done for now and I can move onto the Comet. Unfortunately I've found a few bad areas of rust inside the Comet while cleaning it out. The trunk is practically gone, and there are two areas in the rear floorpan behind the front seats that need some patching. One small section in the driver floor pan below the toe-board. So far it all looks repairable though. I'm looking for a decent welder for sale locally, and once that's purchased I'll start repairing the floorboard and building some mounts to install a 1970 Mustang gas tank.

I've already purchased all the motor mounts, trans crossmember, and belly bar. I also picked up a 5.0 HO roller motor with 121k miles, a Holley Contender intake, two different carbs to pick from, longtube headers, front sump oil pan and pickup, complete duraspark ignition system, wheels and tires, and more. I bought two very nice 1974 maverick fenders at a local junkyard recently, gonna modify those to fit. Out of the same car I got a very nice rear window seal, so I finally got a rear window installed in the car. Once I get everything to install a headliner, I'll also put in a new windshield and brand new front and rear window seals. I figured the used seal will work until the time comes for the headliner. I also picked up a $440 flowmaster exhaust system off a 98 Mustang gt recently for $30, I'll probably see if I can modify the tailpipes to fit around my chassis when the time comes.

I still need a 157 tooth flexplate for 50oz balance (got it bookmarked on summit), the matching c4 case fill bellhousing, a torque converter, disc brake spindles(found a few 71-73 cougar pairs, just gotta pull them). I also plan on ordering replacement Moog control arms, KYB gas-a-just shocks, and plenty more suspension parts.

I have most everything planned out for the car, just need to get my butt in gear and start working on it. Once the ball is rolling and I actually get some progress done, I'll start a build thread and add some pictures.

2. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    dang sounds worse than I thought it was. well as long as the cowl doesnt leak youll be okay Im suprised its so rusty with it setting in the barn for who knows how long.
    was it in mud? or did the barn leak?
    most barn find cars are SOLID
    maybe that car spent some time out of state

3. zeidrach

zeidrach Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet GT, barn find
    Well the car is from Idaho, and probably spent the first part of it's life there. I'm thinking that the roof of the garage leaked and with the back window broken out of the car, water was able to accumulate in the floor pan and the trunk. That factory trunk matting just absorbed all the water up and when I peeled it out, small pieces of the floor came with it.

However, on a good note, I poured a few 2 liter bottles of water down into the cowl and the passenger compartment didn't get wet at all. Hopefully the cowl is solid enough. I can cut all the trunk out, and build custom mounts for the Mustang gas tank easily enough. The floor can probably be patched with sheet steel as well. There are some small sections in the trunk drop offs and lower quarters that someone patched with fiberglass before it was repainted.

The only think I'm really worried about are the rear frame rails and the torque boxes. I need to get the car up in the air so I can check the underside of the car for anymore damage.

4. schroensr

schroensr knight Runner

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Mercury Comet
    Welcome to the forum from West Virginia.