Hooker 6208 header install

Discussion in 'Technical' started by CometGT1974, May 14, 2003.

1. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    I got my headers installed and it really wasn't all that bad!! They go in and out easier then the old hedman's. All the credit is given to "purple70" who first had the idea and then shared it with me, THANK YOU!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Will

Will I

Vehicle:
    74 2door - Small bumpers, 5.0 EFI, Tremec 3550, disc brake 8.8,MII front end, boosted
    Are they longtubes? Did you have to do anything to them or the car?

3. bossmav

bossmav Drag racing nut

Vehicle:
    74 Grabber now Pearl white
    What all mods did you have to make to get those beautiful headers in there.

Did you have to cut or bend your headers?

Thanks,

Bossmav

4. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    Yes, these are longtube headers, 1 3/4" primary. Originally designed for 64-70 Mustang/Cougar with a 351 W engine conversion. The shock towers had to be slightly notched, the notch on the driver side is abou the size of a quarter and the notch on the passenger side is about the size of a half dollar. The motor mounts had to be spaced up about 3/16", and I had to trim just a little bit of material off of the motor mounts, not enough to weaken them. I also had to use a 3/8" header flange to space the header out away from the head/block. The main thing was I had to relocate my oil filter, or there is a small oil filter you can use but I decided to relocate the filter. I had to put a small dent in the passenger side firewall, can't be seen from outside or inside the car. I did not have any problems with the steering but I took out all the power stuff a long time ago. I did not have to dent or mangle any part of the header. I am currently installing a 3" mandrel bent X pipe and I will keep you posted.

5. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    This could be one of the most noteworthy posts on this board since I've joined!

Great news that you the put 1-3/4" primary long-tubes in ! !

I was going to go have a custom set made for mine. I just couldn't bring myself to put 1-5/8" primaries on my 347.

I'm looking forward to a total technical write up, but in the meantime, can you provide me with a part number for the headers and spacer?

Thanks, and keep the posts coming regarding the X-pipe, something ELSE I want to do!

Keep up the FANTASTIC work!

Rick

6. MaverickRunner

MaverickRunner Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 302
    Cant wait to see CometGT1974 and Purple70 lined up side by side at the Roundup Drag Race. That alone is worth it and should be a good race.

7. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    I agree Rick, I was extremely excited when I found out that this header would work!! It will be ALOT better then the old hedman 1 5/8" headers!! The Hooker part# is 6208, add a -1 to the end if you want the ceramic coating. I will get some more pictures this weekend. YOu may want to note that when purple 70 put them in his car he didn't have to notch the passenger side but had to put a notch in the driver side. If someone were able to move there engine back about 1/2" I belive that NO notching would be required, just larger dents in the firewall !!:D I was gonna move my engine back but it would have interfered with the new strut tower brace/monte carlo bar. I got my header flanges from a place in Cali. called SPD. A little pricey at $67 each but they are and excellent product and exactly what I needed, Spd doesn't have a website but I will get there phone# tonight.

8. Grabber351

Grabber351 Quick

Vehicle:
    1973, Maverick Grabber
    These sound like they would be a great fit on a 351W with tower mods. Shouldn't need a 3/8" spacer or to raise the motor mounts..
    Anyone try this?

9. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Thanks for the information. I'll be ordering the 6208's today. I'll order the spacers when I get the information from you tonight (if it fits your schedule)

Thank you and Purple70!

Saaawwweeeeet!

Rick

10. MaverickGrabber

MaverickGrabber MaverickGrabber1972

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 393w
    don't look like they would work on a 351w in the Mav :(

11. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    OK, here's the info for SPD (Special Products Design) 1-888-778-3312. They do have a website, www.exhaust.com. I can't find a part# for the flanges that I have but if you call and tell them what you are doing they will get you what you want. Keep in mind that the parts SPD sell are top of the line.

12. Purple70

Purple70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Ok so your ALOT better at taking pics than i am LOL :D looks great Steve! makes me jealous i didnt spring for the coating...

and as far as it being a good run, it wont be a fair race lol he's set up for 1/8 im set up for 1/4 :( but it should still be pretty decent run im anxiously awaiting :)

13. bossmav

bossmav Drag racing nut

Vehicle:
    74 Grabber now Pearl white
    When and Where?

Where and when is this race at? I love to see a good race!
    So will this be a race to the 1000 foot mark since one car is set for 1/8 and the other is 1/4?

Have a good day

Terry Gates
    AKA Bossmav

14. CometGT1974

CometGT1974 Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Comet GT
    PUrple 70 brings up a good point, it will not be a real evenly paired race since my car is an 1/8th mile car and his is setup for 1/4 mile. I'll be making 1/8th mile passes ONLY, since 1/8th mile is the only competetive racing that I do there is no reason for me to even attempt a 1/4 mile pass. Actually, I believe the drag racing in Indiana will be an excellent opportunity for me to try some diferrent tune ups and get in alot of test & tune time, I will not be pushing the car to it's limits just for the heck of it!!

15. MaverickRunner

MaverickRunner Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 302
    Well I guess I am with you Steven...with 4:62 gears I really dont want to run the 1/4....might have to once..hehe.

And while you are tuning, you can tune mine.....I wish.